Monday, April 28, 2008

Jean Lowe



I went to the Escondido Center for the Arts of April 17th for my installation art class. There were many artist to view. Jean Lowe was my favorite. She had the 44 x 94 inch canvas' on the wall. All of them were oil paintings. The series was called Landscape. The whole idea behind her work was to show the physical expansion of consumerism in America and also to show the time that has gone by a land that once was. I think that the absence of people in her images really allow for a different consideration of these artifical environments where we pass so much of the time. I really liked the image Landscape (Corridor). The image had demension and looked realistic and had depth but from up close, you could see all of the imperfections, its almost as if the painting went from realism to abstract. Overall, I loved her use of color, her techniques that vary the way the audience views her images. As an overall collection, I felt the theme really worked well with the images produced.

No comments: